Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Birthdays and aging

Wow, it seems to be birthday season - all the little ones are growing up so quickly.
We have been to so many Birthday parties recently that cake is becoming a regular part of the kids diet.
Its Jaidens birthday at the end of next month, the big 4. He has been waiting for this day since his last birthday and asks every day without fail if its his birthday yet and will he get his frog cake?
Jaiden has loved frogs since i can remember - i used to keep 2 green tree frogs in a terrarium and Jaiden would just stand and stare at the tank for ages hoping to catch a glimpse of the frogs, he often would find 'Kermit' and 'Freddo' in the vast tropical overgrowth somewhere under a leaf, he has a great eye for small details - he spots planes in the sky so far up i can only just get a glimpse of the reflection the sun makes off their metal body.
I wonder if we will have his diagnosis by his birthday, the appointment is on the 19th and his birthday is on the 28th - i have been told by other Aussie WS parents that the FISH results take up to a month to come in after the blood has been taken, Im so sick of waiting now, i just want time to hurry up so i can confirm or rule-out. At least we should definatly know by Christmas.
I feel really old these days, im always tired and my mind and body just dont seem to be keeping up with the speed of my life. Im only young in years, but in someways i feel so ancient, its like ive crammed an extra decade in there somewhere- Married, Working, House, 3 kids and a dog. Im only 22. Somedays i think i just want to run away home to my mother and cry on her shoulder, yet at the same time i have no regrets. At least i will have more time to take a cruise or sip wine in my retirement, or maybe i wont, but i dont really like to think about the possibility that one of my children may never be able to live away from home.

12 comments:

Julie said...

Oh my goodness Katie I would never have dreamed you were so young by talking to you on here. You are mature beyond your years. My oldest daughter will be 22 next month. I could be your mom. Now I feel old.

Heather said...

Katie, I know what you mean about feeling old. I actually am getting older now, but sometimes feel much, much older. Yes the FISH can take awhile. Calebs was done in November and didn't come back until Dec. 28th. I think I called the Lab every week to make sure they didn't screw up somewhere after the 4th week of waiting. I was hoping for a dx by his birthday on the 12th, then by Christmas. Now I sometimes wish there was no such thing as WS. Hey how's Bowie doing lately?

Katie said...

Hi Heather :)
Bowie the wonderdog,
He got so bad about a week ago that he couldnt stand up or sit and was basically lying on the ground looking terrible. We decided that this was probably it and rang our vet to take him in, when we got there the Vet looked him over, ummed and ahhed a few times and said "i think we should try these tablets first" So some really strong anti-inflammitory tablets and Antibiotics later, Bowie is like a puppy again, bounding around like nothing ever happened!? Neither us nor the vet can believe it - this dog has 9 lives!

Anonymous said...

Katie, I had no idea Jai's an Payton's birthdays were so close. Payton's is on November 8th and she is constantly talking about her birthday too!!! She can't stop talking about her tractor cake (funny thing is, she LOVES frogs too :) I know what you mean about feeling old. I think it's the worries, lack of sleep, appointments, etc - it just wears on you. I do hope you have a diagnosis by Christmas - it's amazing how a diagnosis can help you (you know what to look for, health issues, etc). By the way, I try not to think about retirement either - makes me sad.

Leslie said...

I hope you don't have to wait much longer on a diagnosis. If you're like us, you just want to KNOW. Jack was tested at 2 months and diagnosed a month later. We got the final diagnosis (Mosaic Down syndrome) a month after that. And we had to push to get tested! I have not heard of one single person having to wait that long for a Ds diagnosis. I had an ulcer...

Thanks for stopping by! I am so behind on my blog-reading and commenting. I have you book-marked!

Heather said...

Wow! Hooray for Bowie! I've been wondering about him and keep forgeting to ask. Hope he has many more of those 'puppy' days. xoxo, Heather

Michelle said...

Wow I didn't know the FISH would take so long, I thought it was supposed to be for faster results (at least when you get an amnio you can ask for a FISH test and get the results back in a few days and then wait about 2 wks for the full results.) Sorry you are having to wait so long, just to know one way or the other.

To answer your question to me- No I didn't find out the day of Kayla's birth that she had Ds, at least not definitely, they can suspect it based on her features, but still had to do the karotyping of her blood to confirm it. She was born on a Tues, they couldn't get blood drawn from her until Thur. We left the hospital on Fri and then found out the results the following Fri - so about 1.5 wks after she was born. Although everyone else wanted to wait for the results before accepting or believing it, I just knew she did and I didn't need the blood test tell me otherwise, I could tell my how she looked, but I guess it did help having the test just so there wouldn't be any second guessing.

Michelle said...

I forgot to thank you for sharing with me Jaiden's comment after seeing Kayla's photo! How sweet was that?!

Kerry said...

You are 22?!?!?! I am a little suprised. Youa re WAY more mature than I was at 22 (or... 38!!)

We had to wait 3 weeks for the FISH results.. to find out the geneticist never followed up and the FISH test wasn't done. SO we had to wait ANOTHER 3 weeks and got a new geneticist.

Laura said...

Waiting is the hardest. I feel for you. It seems like we are always waiting for some sort of results.
Only 22??!! I would never have guessed.

Noel said...

I can relate to the last paragraph...I was 25 and had 3 kids under the age of 4. It is hard but it does get better. As they get older you do see the benefits to having them young...no one guesses I am as old as I am until the boys are around and they are as tall as me now! Hang tight.

The FISh test took us a while to get back too.

Noel

Nicole said...

Wow, you are only 22!! That is amazing, you do act very mature.

Emerson's FISH results came back in 4 days!!! They told me it could take up to a month. It definitely took me by surprise. My pediatrician called me to see how I was doing with the results and she assumed that someone else had told me. Anyway, I hope you get answers soon. You have been waiting a long time to know one way or the other.