I have been thinking of what to write about Downs Syndrome for '31 for 21' and i must admit there is very little i know about the Syndrome, I am learning little bits from Michelle and have met more and more kids with DS lately - I think having Jaiden has opened up my eyes to people with disabilities more in general, i remeber a time when i would walk stiffly passed a smiling disabled child who would say 'hello, how are you?' to me feeling unsure what to say. I am very ashamed of that 'closed minded me'and deeply regret not taking 2 seconds out of my precious day to say "well thank you, how are you?" I am pleased to say i feel completly comfortable talking to any disabled person now and i hate watching the ignorent ones walking stiffly passed.
I was at a friends birthday party recently and met one of her relatives i had heard was in hospital with cardiac problems, she had mentioned him before in passing a few times but had never said how serious the heart problems were or that he in fact had Downs Syndrome. I had a great chat to him he is a lovely boy, well a man really, he is turning 18 in November and VERY excited about it! He was telling me that he was a bit sad because all his brothers and sisters were married now and he wasnt, but he does have a girlfriend he sees quite a bit and he wants to marry her someday :)
After a chat with his parents i found out he had only recently come out of hospital after having a valve in his heart replaced and that he was expected to have ongoing complications and will be lucky to see his 25th Birthday. I had heard that DS could cause Cardiac problems but i was unaware of the frequency and seriousness of this.
* On a different note, Some great news! My MIL is home again and feeling much better, they have no idea what caused the problem but a batch of scans and tests reveiled no Pnemonia and no Clot (THANK GOODNESS!)so at this point she just has to take it easy at home and see what happens.
Wednesday, October 3, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
You don't have to write something about Ds every day...I haven't done that so far ... oops! :)
Years ago the life expectancy wasn't very high for people w/Ds because of the cardiac problems, but now w/medical technology more advanced and surgery to correct most problems the life expectancy has increased to about 50-60.
good news about your MIL - glad to hear she is doing better!
Post a Comment