Have you ever seen somebody's heart break?
There is this empty and distant look where the gleam in their eyes used to be and a false smile hiding the lump in their throat threatening to explode into tears at any moment.
I saw it in Liam when we arrived at pre-school the morning i forgot about 'dress up day' and he was the only one not dressed up. Today i saw it again, this time in the Grandmother of a boy who has just started school with Jai.
Aiden, as he happens to be named, has just been diagnosed with Autism. He isnt severe, not that that fact lessons the impact any.. Today when i arrived to pick up Jai, Aiden came bursting through the door into the classroom from the outside area with tears streaming down his little face flapping his hands violantly, with a very angry look on his face he proceeded to the little washroom where he turned on all the taps and splashed his hands down in the trough forcefully for a few seconds and then as the water's obvious calming effect came into play and he just let his hands sit in the trough under the flowing water the anger fading slowly from his expression.
Aidens grandmother followed inside behind him but stopped momentarily at the door to the little bathroom as if to say a prayer she stepped back and looked at the wall then back at me and smiled that false smile you give when you want to pretend you are strong when all you want to do is dissapear into the ground her heart was breaking for her grandson. Part of me wanted to get up and give her a hug and part of me wanted to cry and run away- Aidens little outburst was in no way unique at the EIU and will be long forgotton by the following morning, the reason it stays with me and that the look on his grandmothers face will probably remain etched in my mind forever is that i understand that "defining moment" (to quote Dr Phil) when your whole world collapses and you realise that everything from this day forth will be different. No more planning for college and dreaming of (great)grandchildren. Only right now is a certainty.
These moments that hit me every now and then when Jaiden does something little but undeniably "abnormal". That king hit to the head that is closely followed by the lioness protective instinct of 'keep the hell away from my child' and then that hollow feeling that continues on till the next time. i guess its stages of grief really Denial, Anger, Acceptance...
As my son clings to me crying frantically over his bleeding knee, which is only bleeding because he compulsively picks at it and i know he is only crying because of his new found anxiety over blood. It pains me a great deal that he doesnt realise if he stops picking the blood will stop and that even if he did realise this he probably couldnt stop himself picking anyway.
Numb. Acceptance. Must pick up Liam from school and life goes on.
Monday, October 29, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
11 comments:
I know what you mean Katie.
Although now that I think about it at least kids with Autism as their only dx, could have a chance at recovery some day. I've seen it happen. My kid doesn't have that chance. But, I totally know how the Grandma felt. I'm sure my parents have felt it too. And my own Grandma has that look a lot. Even though she still clings to the thought that Caleb may grow out of it. I can't break her heart and tell her there is no chance of that. She is 83, so I'm just gonna let her believe it's possible. Acceptance has been one of the toughest things I have ever had to work on. It is a constant struggle. One day I'm fine, the next, I feel horrible.
You wrote that sooooo beautifully.
It's so true....I think most of us have forced that same "fake" smile and wanted to die inside. Acceptance is so hard - sometimes I feel that if I accept everything that comes with WS 100% I will give up or stop trying as hard as I do. It's such a battle.
I am starting to have small situations like that lately. Example: you are at the grocery store and he says "hi" to the same person 20 million times, or stares a hole right through them because he wants to be friends. It is awful because I know as he gets older these uncomfortable moments are going to get worse. As far as the things that Noah won't bring to my life, grandchildren, getting married, graduating from college, I try not to focus on that. I know that my other children will provide those things to my life. I just try to focus on all the blessings he brings to this world.
I know what you mean. I've given that fake smile so many times - and I know my family has too. And, you posted so well on knowing "no grandchildren"...wow - that was one of my first thoughts! Everything just changed in an instant. As Heather said - one day I do well, the next day I'm falling apart.
Can't say much more than what everyone else already has. I agree whole heartedly...some days are good, somedays are bad....it is hard on everyone who is involved in their lives.
Noel
Oh, yes, I know that feeling. I think I have done a good job making peace with Ava's disabilities, but sometimes I still get sad about what could have been. I guess you are right, life has to go on no matter how much it hurts.
I hear you - especially when my girlfriend who has a boy three months younger than Brady said to another mother with a little kid that they should get together sometime because she doesn't have kids for her son to play with. Obviously my son is not up to his speed. Wham - back down to Earth.
I know that feeling and the look. It doesn't come as often as it did when Michaela was younger, but it still can show up now and again.
My fake smile comes easy these days. I'm better inside, but I'm also numb in a way. I'm thankful I can hide my feelings sometimes.
Hugs, hugs, and more hugs to you.
I think you touched on what so many of us feel from time to time. Sometimes I'm in my own little world thinking everything is just as it should be, and then something will happen and I'll realize, no things are just a little bit different because of this dx!
The fake smile, the easy way I skim over the phrase "Oh my kid is special needs, no big deal", somehow I have fooled myself into beleiving it is true.
XOXO
Amy
Post a Comment