Thursday, May 29, 2008

when do you say something...

A friend of mine has three beautiful kids and i think that her middle one might be mildly Autistic. I think she thinks it too, but she hasnt said anything and i dont really know if i can say anything... Her little girl is nearly 3 and fairly affectionate to her parents but wont look you in the eye, doesnt speak and does that Autistic style gesture thing, you know what i mean. Having known a few Autistic kids over the last few years i am getting those alarm bells ringing... I dont know what to say, this feels stupid coming from me but She told me today that she thought her daughter was starting to say Mama and Dada and i said, Great! She'll be chatting away before you know it. Now i of course ment that as an encouraging statement but immediatly wanted to hit myself as the look on her face was kind of sad and i remember all those people telling me things like that and how i felt like i was stupid and my concerns wernt valid.
We are meeting up next week so i will see if i can get her to open up a bit.

On a smug note.. (yes i am pathetic) we saw my old un-helpful doctor this morning and she suddenly says all concerned "How are you, are you limping?" and i replied "Oh yes, Im well thank you and how are you?" and she just gave me a funny look, and then she suddenly seemed all concerned about jaiden who had picked up a toy aeroplane and was holding it over his head spinning the propella repeatedly and said "How is he doing?" "Im like he is doing great." Again with the odd look - i figure she didnt care when i was concerned so now that there are some slightly more obvious signs why should i give her the time of day?

Oh and Jai got his shoes. They are extra special cause they have spiderman on them!
So now the entire local shopping center have been shown and made to say "wow arnt you lucky!" He is fairly content, except somewhere along the way he convinced himself that he was getting a new watch too (like hell i am going through that obsession again!) and so every so often he screams, falls to the floor adn sobs "MY WATCH!!!!" Its actually quite funny. Better to laugh than cry i suppose...

5 comments:

Heather said...

yes it is better to laugh! It's all about how you look at it. Really if you don't let it bother you, you really feel much better in general about the whole situation. :)
I don't know if I could have kept my mouth shut to the doctor. I actually just wrote a long winded letter informing Calebs old doctor. He was the one who delivered caleb, and kept telling me that Caleb would 'snap out of it' I really liked the doctor, but just wanted to show him that all the quirks and problems we saw when cale was a baby/toddler were actually symptoms of a rare genetic condition. ugh! I just feel bitter about that sometimes. :)
I hope you are doing okay Katie. Hang in there and stay strong.
xoxoxoxoxo

Noel said...

I too hope that things are getting better for you. ( and only 85% sure you want to move to the US, come one :)...I would LOVE to visit you. I have always wanted to go to Australia!)
I think you are doing the right thing by feeling your friend out. I hope that you are wrong BUT if you are right, you can be the best support for each other.

Noel

Anonymous said...

I feel for the situation you're in. I hope your friend opens up a bit more and you can find out more about how she's feeling about her child. I wish more people would've been honest with me about Payton and whether they believed anything was actually wrong. I think so many people try to be so encouraging you almost feel like you're losing your mind by thinking something's wrong. let us know how it goes.

Amy said...

You are great, girl! That Dr. doesn't need to know anything! Yes, it is a hard road with friends at all times, but I do think a real true friend will find a way to say something. Very lightly and gently, you wouldn't be a true friend if you stood by and said nothing.
xoxo
Amy

Kerry said...

I would have always said to say something, but now when I get comments here and there, I certainly don't appreciate it. Don't know why, it's not like me. Maybe I'm just being overprotective. Your friend may notice something, especially since she has other kids and realizes milestones and behaviors. And docs look out for that behavior too. If she asks, I would definitely speak my mind, though.