Tuesday, January 22, 2008

We had come so far.

I look around the lounge room at the brightly coloured posters on the wall advertising a world of knowledge and education, Shapes, Colours and various species of Dinosaurs threatening to transform the average toddler into a child prodigy.
I take these posters in for a minute, noticing the tattered corners where thumbtacks had ripped through and sigh when I think that they are only a week old and they have already been stripped off the bright green wall of their owner’s bedroom with total disrespect, or is it just that absolute inability to restrain oneself?

When I was young I had a dream of how my life would be, how my children would be. We all had a dream of our ‘perfect children’. Mine, was the intelligent child, I would start my family at age 27, The children would learn to read by age 4, call all dogs by their breed name “What a nice Border Collie you have their sir.” We would live in a nice house, decorated with a country feel and drive a nice car. They would be attentive, attractive and fun. They would ask questions about nature and enjoy lying on the grass and looking up at the clouds wondering about world. There room would be painted bright colours and educational posters would hang on the wall, model aeroplanes from the ceiling and we would read 5 books a night.
I pictured myself laughing with them and taking them out on excursions to museums and nature walks through the great Australian Bush, teaching them all I could about the world around them. they would then sail through school, travel the world, get well paying jobs, marry well, buy a house and raise a family.
It started off a little differently, at 17 I found myself in a long term relationship and pregnant. Liam was born and I was confronted with the reality check “oh my god I have to look after this, it’s a real baby, I cant kill it, its not like a goldfish, I cant just replace it.” Liam grew and did everything as he should. When he was 6 months old I found myself pregnant again, oops.. that had happened a little quicker than planned. The pregnancy passed with little fuss, the baby never moved much, the labour was quick and pretty painless. I found myself with a surge of emotions, holding this new baby in my arms. He was tiny and fragile and silent and I felt an overwhelming urge to protect him no matter what, I hadn’t had that urge the first time. Jaiden seemed different to Liam, something wasn’t quite right.
I think about my dream life now and find it strange that what I wanted so badly is often far from my reality. Every now and then I still try to incorporate a little bit of this dream into real life.
When we bought our cosy 3 bedroom home, I felt that dream come back to me a little. The real estate agent parked in the driveway with his shiny BMW and welcomed us through the front door, we were greeted by the fragerence of scented candles and beautiful country style décor complete with pretty wall borders we knew we were home.
We sealed the deal that very night and moved in just 6 weeks later.
Within a very short time Jaidens development, or rather lack of, was becoming steadily more concerning and we noticed a new, unwittingly destructive nature. He would constantly pick at himself, mosquito bites would never heal, toe nails and finger nails would be ripped at and my fancy country borders were ripped to shreds. The brightly coloured posters and wall stickers in the nursery were peeled off and ruined. Curtains and blinds were detatched from their fittings, books torn.
Nothing was sacred. My beautiful house went from exciting new home to the depressing picture of an earthquakes epicentre. My 2 yr old child couldn’t speak or even wave goodbye, he almost never cried, all he seemed to know how to do was walk, spin stuff, mouth stuff, rip stuff and then all the while hypnotize you with his enchanting blue eyes and wide smile. He never seemed to sleep at night.

Now it seems that destructive side has finally settled down, we can keep the books down from the top of cupboards without the fear of their total annihilation, but the newly painted walls and missing curtains provide a very blank canvas.
I decided it was time to reach into my old dream again.
The new posters shon brightly from their place on the bedroom wall and the look of complete joy on 3 cheeky little faces gave me a sense of satisfaction and fulfilment.

Then a minor routine change, that was all it took for the posters to be torn down, a book ripped to shreds, several meltdowns and a then, this afternoon, a complete hands over ears, screaming flip out because the microwave beeped. We had come so far.

I have carefully remove the embedded thumbtacks from the bedroom carpet and pushed them back into the brightly coloured educational posters now finding their home in the lounge room where this last little shred of my far away dream can be closely guarded, until I am forced to give it away forever and succumb to the real world I must learn to live in.

12 comments:

Julie said...

Okay honey since I am old enough to be your mom,:), I will let you in on a little secret. I think our lives rarely turn out the way we expected. I thought I was going to grow up and marry John Travolta. Boy was that shot when I got pregnant at 16. Okay new dream. My child was going to be well behaved and listen to everything she was told. HA!!! Amber was anything but cooperative and I guess I wouldn't change a thing about her. Having Noah with his health and delay issues is a huge responsibility, one that on most days I think I am not experienced enough to handle. I know I did not turn out the way my mom planned, but she is proud of me and loves me in spite of that fact. All our kids really need is love. I think you are doing a great job and I know you love your kids. Someday when Noah and Jaiden are grown we will look back at these days and be proud of how far they have come and proud of ourselves for helping to get them there. Hang in there.

Anonymous said...

So so true. Payton is destructive like Jaiden. I never dreamed at the age of four I would walk into a room and still find her tearing a book and eating it???!!! My life and dream for my children didn't turn out the way I planned - but I'm so thankful to be walking it with people like you!

Amy said...

Ok I am not old enough to be your mom, but maybe an aunt? What I have learned is that life offers us the chance to live several lives. Things will reinvent themselves again, but in unexpected ways. Hang in there kiddo. Thankfully I suffer from lack of imagination, and all I ever wanted to be was happy(:
XOXO
Amy

Noel said...

Man I have been thinking about the same kind of stuff lately. What happened to the perfect life I had pictured? Oh yeah, I involved other people in it..a husband and 4 kids who all have a totally different idea of what is perfect. I have learned that the more family you add the more things change. Each one's personality changes the way the road was going!
Hang in there! Keep holding on to your dreams...just modify them a bit :)

Noel

Shelley said...

Yup I know what you mean - I had similar dreams only the twins didn't arrive until I was nearly 40 and now it seems there will be no more babies even though i'd really like it - oh and I never 'dreamed' of having a red headed demon with DS or a little boy who looks a lot like me but has his father's idiosyncracies already!! Some dreams are probably not as good in reality as we imagine anyways and life as we know it is better than a one-dimensional dream too. I'd still hang on to those posters for as long as you can though - we need to dream big for ourselves and our kids whatever reality brings.

anna said...

Oh Katie I hear you, just hang in there, my life is so far from the way I dreamed it but now I am making new dreams! Everyone so far has given you great advice, as you have given me.
Anna

Laura said...

I don't think I ever had a specific idea of what I thought my life would be like, but I can say that I wouldn't ever have imagined it the way it's turned out.
Not in a bad way, so much.....just never saw myself as a strong enough person to be the parent of a child with special needs.

Heather said...

I hear ya loud and clear Katie! Like Laura said though, I never dreamed I would be a parent of a special needs kid! God must have a lot more faith in me than I've had in myself. There is a greater plan and it just goes to show that we are not in control. We just need to surrender to the way it was meant to be! I too am so glad that we all have eachother along this twisted,bumpy,uphill road :)

Nancy said...

I love this post. Life rarely ever goes the way we expect it to for sure...but what an adventure it is! I have a little Destructo-Boy, too. He got into a box of our wedding photos the other day, and I almost cried. Almost. ;-)

Penny said...

Ok, Julie, if you are old enough, then so am I. I, too was pregnant at 16 and will now be a grandmother at 39. I never planned any of this, never dreamed this would be my life. I thought I would get married, be a stay at home mom with 6 kids. Well, once divorced, one more in the works, 3 kids, work full time and doing it all alone. BUT...there's a reason we have this life, there's a reason we crossed paths and we share the same road and there's a reason that we all found each other here.

Keep the faith, there's a plan, even if you haven't figured it out yet.

Anonymous said...

Katie,
I just had to comment about the comment you left on my blog - you had me laughing so hard on the 'shit' comment. My husband was dying too! Thanks for the laughter :)

Kerry said...

Ain't it the truth... our visions of the future have yet to be a reality. I am sure though that we were destined these lives for some reason. It will probably make itself known to us when we are on our deathbed, as luck would probably have it! This was beautifully written ~ :)