Sunday, March 2, 2008

Thinking outside the square

A small miricle happened in our family today, it seems a light switch has turned on somewhere inside my little boys brain.
It was just another day as I trudged up to the pre-school gates and dragged a screaming 2yr old up to the classroom to collect his brother, as I entered I was beckoned in by a rather excited looking pre-school teacher and ushered towards the back of a classroom where brightly painted self portraits of stick figure children hung pegged to a string running between the concrete walls. Right there, smack bang in the middle there hung a slightly different picture, not of a child not of a dog and shining sun, but of a word. The word was painted in bright colours and ran several times along the sheet of paper, it unmistakably read “JAIDEN”.
This little boy who yesterday could not copy an X could suddenly form every one of the individual letters that make up his name with perfect accuracy.
I gasped and held back tears, “All by himself!” said the pre-school teacher with a huge grin, she told me she had asked them to paint a picture of themselves and Jaiden painted his name! Jai came over and pointed to his masterpiece and said proudly “That’s a picture of ME!”
It certainly is Jai, it certainly is.

13 comments:

Kerry said...

HOLY COW!!!!! Yeah! That is FABULOUS!!! These kids really suprise you~ just imagine what's around the corner :):)

Julie said...

Yay Jaiden. That is great news.

Heather said...

Whoa! Katie that is great!! Good job Jai :)

Shelley said...

That is GREAT! Well done Jai!

camille said...

WOOOOOW!!!! that's so amazing! Good for Jaiden, keep it up, buddy!!!

Amy said...

Wow, I would call that a big, happy miracle!
xoxo
Amy

Noel said...

That is amazing! Way to go Jai!

Noel

Ava's Grandma Kim said...

Go, Jaiden, go! What a wonderful accomplishment. Congrats, Katie!

Laura said...

Yahoo, Jaiden!!!

Penny said...

Wow! That is great!

anna said...

Yippie Jai! How awesome, simple awesome :) I know you are beaming with pride Katie. Sending you our smiles and pats on the back!

Much love and peace,
Anna

Nancy said...

Wow! Congratulations to all of you!

Michelle said...

I love his interpretation of painting a picture of himself!