I pushed my way throught the crowded primary school grounds watching children from all walks of life playing together, sharing, yelling at each other, spitting at and looking out for other kids around them. It suddenly dawned on me that these children are the future, the next prime minister, leading doctors, retail assistents, drug addicts and the homeless people of the next generation.
I remember when it was me at primary school,with my dreams of becoming a doctor and curing the world of all its ails. Then a mere decade ago it was me running around, suddenly an invincible teenager with nothing to do but prove how 'right' i was about everything, ditching school to hang out with a band and 'rock n rolling' to the wee hours of the morning whilst my mother thought i was tucked up nicely in bed at a friends house having a sleep over.
Doctor? Nah! Why study when i can just nick off down to the shops and not get caught doing it anyway?
In a way im glad i did my reckless teenage years the way i did, i learned alot and managed to survive, i learned to have a strong work ethic - you dont work, you dont have money, you dont eat and like hell you are going to move back in with your mother! And i have always seemed to have someone up there looking out for me. I met the man of my dreams young i got pregnant young, i married young and i bought a house young. I have watched my special needs child blossom before my eyes and amaze all his doctors and teachers. I have a full heart knowing in myself that he will be ok, not always up there with the others, but he will be OK.
I know i have already acomplished my lifes strongest goals, perhaps i had better make some new ones or be destined to aimlessly wander about the planet until my days run out.
I went to see a new doctor recently about my steadily declining health, a new doctor, strangly recommended to me by Jaidens new EIU teacher. A slightly odd man but very kind, he asked 1000 questions, utterly confused me and did some tests and ordered some more, never once giving me the impression he thought i was crazy. He spent the best part of an hour with me and promised me he will get to the bottom of this, for me and my children. He agrees with the suggestion of the neuro's assistent from long ago and feels this will likely be Multiple Sclerosis, although he going to do his best to disprove his own theory and find me a diagnosis that is less permenent and more manageable. I dragged my stiff legs out of his office and felt relieved that someone had taken the time to listen and actually wanted to help me.
Im heading off now to write myself a list. A list of my shortest term goals, those that i wish to achieve by sundown, clean the bathroom, vacuum the rug and hang out the washing.
Thursday, March 6, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
I hope he is wrong. I get what you mean about Jaiden being ok. I am very comfortable with Noah being ok. I think after what we have all experienced in the past week, ok sounds wonderful. I will take ok as long as he is healthy.
Good idea making those "to Do" lists bearable so we can actually get the things done!! I'm glad you are taking care of yourself... there's plenty of people out there who need you :) Take care of yourself ~
I am really hoping that this dr proves himself wrong. I hope that he does find answers just not this one.:(
I totally agree, okay is great! I know that Abi is okay at least for the time being and that is good enough for me.
THANK YOU a millions times over for the package! All of my kids love it! Abi has been walking around with a Kookabura on her hand having conversations with it. We are trying to teach her the song " Kookabura sits on the old gum tree..." we get to the last line " laugh Kookabura, laugh Kookabura, gay your life must be,ha,ha,ha.." and she giggles! As soon as we get her to sing the whole thing I will video it for ya!
Hugs,
Noel
Love you Katie, and I'm so glad you went. small goals are good :)
xoxo, Heather
Katie, I am hoping that your doctor does get to the bottom of things soon. And no, you are not crazy. I like you just the way you are!
He sounds like a very caring and thorough doctor...I hope you get some answers. I agree with the others about making smaller goals, it helps gives us a sense of accomplishment!
Add to your list, be happy every day for your wonderful children, husband, house. I am glad you went to the doc, although I do hope for a better dx than ms. BTW what is a kookabura????
Love you,
Amy
Post a Comment