Well the kids have just gone back to school after the two week winter break, unfortunatly i dont think they had a great holiday this time due to wet weather,a round of the flu the first week and mummy with her head in the toilet the second... Oh well the next holidays will be spring so there should be lots of outdoorsy stuff to do.
Jaiden went back to preschool this morning and the second we pulled into the school he started freaking out about the fire alarms again, i cant remember if i posted this but in the last week of last term they had 3 fire drills (faulty alarm) and Jai has been obsessing about it all holidays, so he suddenly gets "that look" on his face, im sure most of you know it well, the look of fear and you just have to wait and see how they deal with it. So he starts up with a "they arnt having a fire alarm today mum, Miss Clarke turned off the fire alam didnt she? I dont want the fire alarm, are they having the fire alarm today? Miss Clarke doesnt have the fire alarm any more she got ridded of it..." Etc
Luckily since his language has progressed he tends to obsessivly talk about whatever is frightening him rather than just covering his ears and screaming blue murder.
So we walk into the classroom and he grips my hand and freezes, i had to gently coax him to put his drink in the container and his bag on the hook and when we went to wash his hands the tap squealed a little and his hands shot over his ears and he just looked at me wide eyed, that particular tap has always done that and its never bothered him before. Then we went over the the carpet area to do a puzzle and it turns out his teacher has rearranged the furniture during the holidays, this started to get a bit much for him and his lower lip started to tremble, Miss Clarke appeared at that moment and got a tiny half grin out of him, he was still very tense when i left so Miss Clarke sat down to do a puzzle with him.
When i picked him up she said they had had a good chat about fire alarms and how they wernt scary they were there to help us and apparently he changed the subject to "you are going to fix the room up arnt you?, are we are going to move the room back now? etc" and continued that throughout the session. As we walked to the car the fire alarm talk started again though, "I didnt have a fire alarm today, Miss Clarke turned it off, we wont have a fire alarm ANYMORE. I dont want the fire alarm mummy, it wasnt a fire alarm just a BEEP BEEP BEEP!"....
I hope it ends soon, I will have to ask Miss Clarke if she can try and find out in advance if they will be doing anymore tests so we can stay home that day or something, really though, cant they test alarms outside of school hours anyway?
Tuesday, July 22, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
so weird it is winter for you... I hope you are feeling better, so weird how all pregs are different, maybe its the girl :)
I remember those dreaded fire drills. I would ask the teachers to prepare Caleb if they knew one was coming. It helped a small bit.
Sorry that Jai has these obsessions. It is hard, I know.
Hope you are feeling better soon. Hey, I didn't get sick at all with my boys. Only my girl.
Oh, I feel for you. I hope they prepare Jai for the fire drills - or get him outside the school before they do the drill. I really can't imagine how it must hurt those ears of theirs - it is loud.
Katie, hope you feel better soon. Pet store smells ooohhh. Mine was smelling fried foods on someones clothing, especially on the BUS! I was 5 shades of green and you know I have 2 GIRLS!
Could you get Jai some earphones the ones that cover the whole ears? I use some for Lila and she now has gotten to where she decides if she needs them or not.
Post a Comment