Sunday, November 4, 2007

Validation

I awoke at exactly 5 minutes before 9am this morning with a sudden start when i realised that i had exactly 5 minutes to wake up, dress, and feed three children, aswell as shower myself and find something to wear that would meake me look like a remotely presentable parental figure.
The reason behind the unusually lengthy sleep in on a school day is due to the fact that we didnt get home until after midnight last night after a rather unexpected invitation to visit some friends in a nearby country town for dinner who also happened to have a mutual friend from Sydney there for the night... Of course we had to go and the evening was lovely but dragged on a little bit too long for a tired mummy and three small children.
At 11pm i finally detatched Liam from an X- Box and peeled sleeping Lachie and Jaiden from the couch and convinced them to sit the car while i dragged my rather intoxicated husband from his mate and an intelligent conversation that appeared to be solving all of the worlds problems at once. We said our goodbyes and headed off on the long drive home taking care to avoid plowing into a mob of Kangaroos that were sitting in the belting rain on the edge of the windy road thretening to jump out in front of us at any moment.

So although i awoke this morning in a mad panic, i did manage to get the children out of the house and to school, packed lunch and all by 9:30am - which i must say i think was a pretty good effort all things considering!
After we waved goodbye to Jaiden, Lachie and i headed to the supermarket to purchase some Nappies and food essentials only to go to pay and realise my darling husband still had the credit card in his wallet! After many embarressed apologies to the cashier and the people in line behind me we left the store quickly empty handed and it was already time to collect JJ.

I arrived at the EIU a little early and sat down to watch the children do their goodbye song and then stayed back while Jaiden and Aiden played together nicely outside. We were having a look at some picture board style books for Aiden that J's teacher was making and the three of us got chatting It was lovely to speak with Aidens grandma properly for the first time and i have discovered she is a breast cancer surviver down from Queensland. We spoke openly about the children and their quirks and we both realised we had alot in commen. We also spoke about things like taking the boys to the shops and how hard it can be sometimes when people give you those 'looks' and comments, we spoke of how she had survived breast cancer and of our hopes for the kids future. Jaiden and Aiden played brilliantly together the entire time - which we all agreed was the longest either of them had played nicely with anyone with no interuptions - EVER!
We didnt end up leaving for a further hour and a half and i left feeling very validated about my feelings and although i know im not alone, it was kind of nice to have somebody "In real life" and not on the internet to share with.

8 comments:

Heather said...

that is nice Katie.. I'm glad you were able to get to know Aidens
G-ma a little bit. It is a good feeling to be able to share in person. Keep going with your gut girl. It's the best way to go. love, Heather
ps. I can't even imagine... a pack of Kangaroo's.... go figure. I'm am so coming down there someday :)

Nancy said...

I always feel GREAT when I am with another WS family in "real life." In fact, I tend to think LESS about WS and more about having fun when I am with them because I'm not afraid of anything when I'm with them. It's wonderful!

Julie said...

It is great to be able to talk to other parents. It makes me feel less alone.

Noel said...

I am glad that you got that time together. I am also glad that Jai has a new friend...how great!!


Noel

Michelle said...

What a crazy morning you had! Did you have Will the bear in the mix as well? I laughed out loud about "Here is Henrey the Bear kids". It is always so wonderful to talk to someone who "gets it". I hope you get another hour and a half at the playground to relax and talk....sounds wonderful to me!
Michelle :)

MY LIFE said...

how lovely thats so nice and both of you have been through so much.i am glad you have fond memories of england.i to of australia sharon x

anna said...

You are such a good writer, I could picture everything you where saying & some of it had me laughing, so thanks. It is such a good feeling to be able to talk to someone who understands.

Michelle said...

sounds like it was a nice impromptu playdate for Jaiden and Aiden!