Sunday, September 2, 2007

Well... ther you go....

You learn somthing new everyday....
I knew my Hubby had had problems with his legs as a baby, had surgery for strabismus (although still obvious when tired) and was slow to deveop.
I decided to probe my MIL for more information due to Jaidens issues and this is what i got:
When my husband was born he was unable to voluntarily move his legs. They would move if a reflex point was pushed but otherwise remained straight out. His doctor in Germany set up intensive physio and wrote the name of the condition down and that was it. With the physio he gained movement although of course he was slow to roll crawl & walk etc. He still walks and runs with a bit of a gait now (but dont tell him that!). I asked her to find the name of this condition for me and as it was written in German i traslated it on the internet and it turns out its a form of "Spastic Cerebal Palsy" just luckily VERY mild. Well there you go.
I havnt told my Husband about any of this (and he doesnt read the blog obviously) i dont know if i should... I dont think he would want to know as although he has come along way in the 'accepting people for who they are' stakes since we have had Jaiden, knowing the English Translation for this might upset him. He knows that he had problems as a baby but his mother never discussed it with him and he left Germany and came to Australia when he was 10 and never saw a doctor again... It just wasnt spoken about. I guess he doesnt "need" to know... cognitively he is fine and it doesnt affect him now anyway. The turned eye is unrelated.
Well i guess it doesnt relate to Jai in anyway but was not exactly what i expected either!

2 comments:

Nancy said...

Wow. What do you do with a piece of your family history like that? I think it's good to know, at least for you, even if your husband doesn't want to talk about it.

Kerry said...

Wow - how bizarre... Only you know if telling him would be beneficial. It's amazing what people used to go through and don't know. I can't imagine that happening today.