Monday, August 20, 2007

running numb.

I went and saw the family GP today about Jaiden.
I said fairly bluntly that if they couldn’t find a way to get him into see a child Psychologist ASAP they would find themselves having to send me to one as well…
I know that I am pathetic to complain as my troubles with him are so very insignificant compared to the things a lot of you guys have been through, and I feel so guilty about it.
So im sorry, I guess it has just been a really long year for me, I feel like although I have accessed Jaiden all the help I can for now, it seems that I have really only crawled forward a few steps and done a lot of dancing around in circles, and waiting… its ALL about waiting, wait and see if he snaps out of it, wait 18months for speech therapy, wait for the next Pediatrician’s appointment, waiting lists for OT, Psych, Geneticists & School interviews.
I do know that I need to focus more on the things that we have achieved than the things that we are yet to achieve. I do know that repetition seems to be the best way of teaching things to Jaiden; I do know that I really have to learn to be more patient. I am emotionally wrung out, I compare me to a hormonal pregnant woman with my mood swings, lack of patience, and groggy constant feeling that isn’t dissimilar from drunkenness and the absolute exhaustion. Only this time I cannot make excuses about being hormonal, it won’t get better in 9 months and I do have to learn how to cope, because this is life now, nothing is going to change anytime soon and not ever unless I get off my ass and start making it happen.
I know all the theory…

I watched Forrest Gump the other night for the first time in about 10 years, and I cried the whole way through. Last time I saw it I remember being sad at the end but this was a whole new level of sadness, one that suddenly reached into my heart and tore it out, it all seems much to close to home now. All I could think through the movie is that this child could be mine, could be yours, and I pray to have the strength of the mother. Maybe im depressed. I need to get over it, get over it for Jaiden, for all the kids.
God, please just make it stop. Make that feeling of utter hopelessness go away, take away the emotions; I don’t want to feel anymore. It seems like I am stuck on the verge of numb and all I can feel is heightened emotions.
Maybe this is what it feels like to be Jaiden, raw emotions.
Oh God, I just want to be numb. Disappear to a desert island somewhere and never return. I don’t think I like Holland anymore, i want to go back to Italy.
Run Katie, Run.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not that long ago, I finally got myself on medication. I just didn't feel like I could cope anymore. It has really helped me - and I actually didn't realize how hopeless I really felt. You are doing a fantastic job, Katie. The emotional and behavior problems that come with ws are so very difficult to handle. I keep praying for more patience too.

Nancy said...

Oh, Katie...I'm sitting here in tears hurting for you. Hurting WITH you. Normally I think we all do so well putting on a brave face and trying not to worry about things, but sometimes something has to give. We need help sometimes, for our kids and for ourselves. Girl, do what you have to do--you're smart and have excellent instincts.

I think of you all of the time and hope that things look better for you. I hope they see how serious you are and realize you know what's best. Because you do know what's best.

Laura said...

Katie,
First, don't ever, ever apologize or feel guilty for feeling what you feel. None of this is easy, quite frankly, it sucks!
Michaela is a bit older now, so some of the raw emotional and behavioral stuff we have been able to work through with time, maturity and lots of work. But I remember those younger days all to well. The sheer exhaustion of every little bit of raising a child with WS. It's a lot to handle.
You need to take care of yourself, too. No guilt in doing that. Know you are a great mom, doing everything you can for your child!

Heather said...

I remember too Katie,and it will get better. I know you feel like your at the end of the road and have done all you can do, but one of these days you will wake up with the strength to continue on. Everyone needs picked back up here and there. I watched Forrest G. the other night too. I look at it totally different now. I had to laugh though too, Forrest was such a good soul. I just never thought I would have my own Forrest. Hang in there and feel better Katie, love Heather

Amy said...

It is ok to not be brave some of the time. Right now you are feeling unbrave, unsure, scared, I can mark those tics off my list as well. The depression that comes with our position ebbs and swells, you are sinking so be careful and know we all have your back, we are there for you, just know I have a special thought in my heart for you today that tomorrow will be a little better, and that your hopelessness shortens to HOPE.
XOXO
Amy

Teresa and Shawn said...

Of course you want more for your child and are looking ahead. That's why you're the mom - you are your child's advocate (only advocate, in some cases). I, too, have those day when I am so totally overwhelmed by the WS-ness of it all. And then Clare will grin at me or touch my cheek and I remember why it is all worth it.

Lisa said...

Like Tara said, Meds can really help ...I think we have all been where you are and it sucks...I hope tomorrow is a better day for you....Complain and vent all you want you and Jaiden's issues are just as important as everyone elese's...That is what friends are for :)

Kerry said...

NEVER apologize for complaining - we are all in this boat together. Days are good, days are bad. You deserve to have some "non-brave-face" days.

On a sidenote, regarding Forrest Gump... if only my son could invest in Apple and give me tons of moolah!! We should be so lucky :) His mother was a strong woman, a strong advocate. Forrest was a happy guy.

Hang in there ~

Noel said...

I have to say I have been in your shoes too many times to count but like those mom's with older children have said..it does get better. I won't say that life gets easier you just learn how to cope better. The older Abi gets the better my mood seems to get...the coping gets better too.
Hang in there!

Noel