My work place is like a child magnet - we have litrally hundreds of children visit over the weekend and many special needs kids too - i tend to spend a bit of extra time with these families, i let them cuddle the puppies, touch a lizard etc.
On saturday afternoon just before we closed, a man and his son came up to the counter to buy some stuff, the dark haired, stocky, short statured but not really plump boy with a big smile grinned up at me and said "Hello!, can i give big Big BIG cuddles to the puppy??" I laughed and immediatly thought that was something Jaiden would say so of course my soft heart obliged and we went and gave a hug to the little fluffball maltese puppy. The little boy started chatting away and i was rather amused as the little boy continued to speak about anything, it became obvious that this little fella was special needs, he started telling me stories and using hand gestures, doing that little funny hands-curled-backwards-on-hips-when-proud thing Jai does. The more he spoke and moved the more it was like talking to Jai. His father briefly apologised for the chatter and i said, dont worry at all, he is so similar to my son, i feel like im talking to him!
the little boy ran up the back to show me the birds and i took note of the way his little head moved side to side and his knees bowed slightly as he ran - Just like Jaiden.
They stayed for about 15 min and we did a little guided tour of the shop and patted the animals, he told me he goes to BIG school now, like his cousin and that he can go really really REALLY fast in the car to school and so fast they FLY there, like birds. He likes birds, but they are a bit loud, he suprised me by spontaniously and correctly naming every bird we had in the room but one which i told him is a 'superb parrot' so now he knows the "SUPER PARROT!" as well.
His dad said he has some topics he just knows backwards, and if i ask any questions id better have a lot of time on my hands!
I told him he was clever knowing all those bird names and he said it was cause he is 5 now and not 4 now, but 5 now and he will be 6 in a minute! I asked him his name and he said "I Luke!, and im 5 now, so i can fly like the 'super parrot'" Lukes dad seemed interested in my few little comparison with Jai comments, and looked as though he wanted to ask questions, but didnt. And nor did I.
They left soon after but promised to come back and visit.
'Luke' definatly doesnt have Williams Syndrome, his face is wrong for that - he has a big mouth and slightly puffy eyes but nothing else, his facial features mostly look like his dads. I do cling to things in my little diagnosis search, but meeting this boy who was basically Jaiden with a different looking head, i think if i can find out what he has i will find out what Jaiden has.
I started work at midday on Sunday, and was informed that in the morning Luke (who was instantly recongnised by a collegue from the previous day) had come back in with his mother and bought some fish and would be back next week for more... Now i just have to figure out if i have the guts to say anything, and if i do what can i say?
Sunday, February 17, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Maybe you could bring up Jai and tell them he is special needs and the doctors feel he has a syndrome but just aren't sure what yet. That way you are letting them know that you already realize Jai isn't "typical". Good Luck kiddo.
Ooooh, thats hard... but I understand your feelings. It's so hard not knowing, but knowing it's something.. but what? Good luck Katie. He does sound similar to Jai. Might be an answer.. never know?
I agree with what Julie said. I think you could say something along those lines and not step on any toes...and if you could find out something else to check for then it would be worth it!!I have struck up conversations with a few people whose kids had WS and I have never been disapointed yet :)
Noel
Go girl, get the guts! You can have some of mine(:
xoxo
Amy
I like Julie's take. Can't hurt to talk to them - my OT diagnosed a boy with WS in this town because she saw similarities. You never know what you might learn.
Post a Comment