Monday, February 4, 2008

Fly the nest..

I dont know where the last 5 1/2 years have gone, one minute im a scared teenager holding a baby thinking "what the hell do i do with it?" the next im kissing my first born on the head and wishing him well on his first day of Kindagarten.
Liam shook me from my slumber bright and early, 5:30am to be exact, already dressed in his bottle green shorts, white shirt and bottle green hat, wearing his brand new spiderman backpack complete with bright blue drink bottle. "Can we go yet mum??"
Huh?? was my sleepy response before realising that it was the first day of the rest of Liams schooling life - 5 days a week for at least the next 13years. Wow.
I convinced Liam to remove his bag and hat and go and watch some cartoons on TV while Holger and I got up and ready. The next 3 hours passed slowly for Liam and quickly for me as i made triple sure he had all of the supplies on the list from his school, made lunch and recess... and afternoon tea (how many breaks do they get!?)
Lorelai and Therese arrived and Therese stayed with the kids so that I could go alone with Li. We drove the 200metres to the school as it was raining very heavily and thanks to a certain middle child (who's name i wont mention)my Umbrella has been declared no longer useable. Only Kindy kids were starting so the school was full of very small bewildered and excited children in oversized uniforms and slightly sad looking parents, i followed some people to the Library where we took our seats next to a little boy from Li's preschool class. We listened to the principle explain how he and his staff would make a better world with his students at the forefront and were then introduced to the staff. The children were called to their teachers for the year and we all followed down to their new classroom.
The kids were shown where to hang their bags and where to place their drinks and lunchboxes and we came in to play a quick game with them before we were ushered out the door.
With a quick cuddle and a "bye mum" he was officially a big boy. I didnt cry.
Much.

9 comments:

Julie said...

Ahh the first day of kindergarten. Amber could have cared and I cried all the way home. Lexi got on and off the bus at her aunts and missed her stop the first and didn't get off the bus. Noah is just never going.:) Ha ha. Zac Efron is the newest teen star here in the states. He was in a disney movie called "High school musical".

Penny said...

Awwwww. We all cry on that first day of Kindergarten!

Heather said...

Heck, I'm crying!
It seems like yesterday when my first born was heading off to his first day of Kindergarten! He rode the bus that day, and came home with a black eye :(
I was so upset, but he was a trooper. This year he went to middle school, and it felt like Kindy all over again for me. It goes so fast Katie. It is adorable how excited Liam was! He is such a cutie pie :) xoxo Heather

Anonymous said...

Haven't got thru this yet - and not looking forward to it! I'm glad Liam was excited though! Makes me sad just thinking about sending my two off to kindergarten.

Noel said...

I am glad you only cried a little bit. I can't say that I was ever very strong when it came to my kids going to Kindergarten!

Hope Liam had a good day!
Noel

Amy said...

Wow, congratulations. Before you know it we will be grandmothers. God I hope not too soon!!
XOXO
Amy

Laura said...

The years go by so fast, don't they?
I hope he had a great day.

Michelle said...

wow I can't believe he was dressed and ready to go by 530! Sounds like he was excited about getting to school, and it's good he didn't cry and wasn't fearful of you leaving - sometimes I think it's harder on us moms then it is the kids! Hard to let them go.

Shelley said...

Ooh - I try not to think of that scary day ... I hope he has a great time there.