I surveyed the room, fish, puppies, birds, bunnies a kitten, various reptiles and more stock than I knew what to do with. Customers? No. Wait, as i looked up the back of a small boys golden curls could be seen bobbing in his fathers arms around the back of the shop, suddenly the child turned around and just as quickly back again. I was immediately struck with the very familiar features of Erick Quinn, and my heart momentarily skipped a beat His father headed over in my direction. The little boy glanced up at me again, his somewhat puffy rather starry eyes just peeking over the top of his fathers shoulder, the small upturned nose, and huge broad grin complete with little teeth followed in quick succession, if there had been any doubt in my mind that this child had Williams syndrome it was quickly quashed by the gruff little voice that erupted from his mouth with some concern, “Noisy” he stated and held his hands to his ears and looked towards the bird room at the other end of the store, “Yep”, I replied, “very noisy!”
I am pretty sure that his father thought I was completely mad as I could not take my eyes off his gorgeous son’s oh so familiar face while I was trying to stay focused and answer some serious questions he had about the care of the Eastern Long Necked Tortoise.
As he left I commented that his son had such beautiful starry eyes and it was nice to see such a happy little smile. I got a rather odd look and the man’s mouth opened as if to say something and then closed again as if he had thought better of it. I hope I didn’t come across as a weirdo stalker type.
After the customer had left a collegue walked up to me and said “That kid was a cutie, kind of looked like your middle one, don’t you reckon?” – If only she knew.
Sunday, February 10, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
Hey I had a similar experience last week - a man with DS was shopping with his mum (I presume) and he was staring at the twins in their stroller so I jsut started talking to him. She seemed a bit surprised and hurried him away to continue the shopping. Still maybe she was just in a hurry - I only commented that 'they' (the twins) 'looked sweet when they were asleep' (as Hannah was at the time).
wow, why didn't you say something? Maybe they don't know? I would have loved if someone would have brought it up to me way back when. Course, I don't know if I would have the courage to be that blunt either. xoxo
I am always looking at people with a new outlook - I think I see more WS all over the place!
Wow. I have seen a couple of people out and about with WS and I stare too. I am sure they also think I am a stalker. I am afraid to say anything.
Did Dr. Morris ever get back to you?
Heather - i really wanted to, but just didnt quite know what to say - im hoping they come back for that turtle!!
Penny - no havnt heard back yet :( its a shame as Marisole was so quick to reply at the beginning. I know she is busy.
Shelly - Hannah & Kit are ALWAYS cute :)
Heather - i really wanted to, but just didnt quite know what to say - im hoping they come back for that turtle!!
Penny - no havnt heard back yet :( its a shame as Marisole was so quick to reply at the beginning. I know she is busy.
Shelly - Hannah & Kit are ALWAYS cute :)
In some ways you must have given that man a very precious gift by not pointing out how his son is different and rather recognized his wonderfulness as a human being and his special traits as a ws kid. Good for you sweetie. I am fixated with people that have special needs and always want to run up to their parents and give them a hug, mostly cuz I need the hug.
xoxo
amy
I giggled when I read this because we feel such a special connection to those who look like they could...quite possibly...be related to us in that freaky, special, cool way. That is the beautiful part of such a tragic syndrome, and I treasure it.
Ah, crap, it's hard to explain, but sometimes I feel like I'm part of such a special family, and it makes me so incredibly HAPPY and connected with the whole danged universe in a secret sort of way.
Post a Comment