Well after a short 18months on the waiting list we had our first speech appointment yesterday.
Jaiden is talking quite well now so i was a little skeptical about this appointment.
This session was an assessment session so they could write up a plan for Jaiden.
He had to do a little test but couldnt finish it as he got too tired and decided that he would much rather play with a toy bus than listen or talk to this lady anymore.
I was glad that the lady (ive forgotton her name) got to see an example of Jaidens inconsistancy with understanding and answering questions, i often have trouble trying to explain this and she was quite puzzled by it.
ie: Jai knows all of his colours backwards but depending on the object he is looking at or the question that is asked he wont always respond correctly - the lady had a picture puzzle with diff coloured animals in it and she asked Jai what colour the fish was and he responded 1st 'fish', then 'big fish', 3rd time he got quite antsy and replied "Its a FISH!"
The said fish had alot of detail on him, scales - not just eyes, tail and fins. I think there was just too much going on in the picture for him to process - he has a keen eye for detail and alot of the time he seems to miss the forest for the trees if you know what i mean.)
Later on the lady was reading through a book with him and there was a simple drawing of a fish and she asked "what colour is the fish ?" and Jaiden goes "Orange - ooh green frog!!" and starts naming everything on the page and its colour!
We have a follow up to finish the test on friday and then we will put an ongoing plan into place.
Tuesday, July 17, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
18 months on a waiting list??? Unbelieveable. I am glad she is there though - it sounds like you are both on the same page, which is great.
I don't know how many times people tell me that my inability to communicate effectively with Erik is typical for a 2-year-old. They just don't get it.
I'm glad you got into speech therapy, and I hope it produces positive results -- even a little is positive, right?
Man, they just never show it when you need 'em to, do they? Glad she saw that he's got it in him. Please read down through your posts. I just commented on your bad day. sorry it was late. Been busy. Jaiden is just the cutest with the guitar. Playing with our instruments is one of Caleb's fav. things to do. It's just so natural and soothing for him. much love Katie, Heather
Oh yeah, glad you figured out U-tube. Not so bad hey?
Wow he sounds like he is doing great... Tatum is starting speech next week Finally....I am going ot go crazy with 2 talkers.....
Post a Comment