Last night i went to a seminar about "Play scripting" for children with special needs. Jaidens wonderful EIU teacher told me about it and kindly gave me a lift there!
Basically "play scripting" is a bit like a communication board.
You have a series of pictures on an A4 Sheet of paper.
The pictures usually include Facial Expressions- to indicate how the child is feeling , Choices - this might include pictures of Painting, Drawing, Dress Up.. whatever is on offer really.
Say the child indicated they wanted to paint, you could then show them a colour choice board and they can pick the colour they want to use by pointing to the board.
Ok. That was a terrible explanation. Basically Allison (lady running the session) showed us how to extend the play sequences with children by offering them a select number of choices, Say Jane sees a doll, picks it up cuddles it and puts it down, you could encourage Jane to keep playing by asking "whats next?" and pointing to the play script which might have choices like feed the baby, dress the baby, put the baby to bed etc.
You modify the choices depending on the childs level of play skills. Allison teaches a Special Ed class with 6 children with a range of disabilities, from sitting in a chair only able to feel different objects and interact by the odd grunt through to one girl who was playing imaginary games in pirate costume (im not quite sure why she was in that school actually - she looked, talked and played quite "normally". )
All in all although i cant explain it very well i learned alot and im very glad i went.
On a funny note - Jaiden just came up to me and said "mum, its ok. maybe i have a new nose" - the reason for this comment is because he has had a sore on his nose for weeks, its still there because he keeps picking at it and making it bleed. I told him to stop or it will fall off. So now i think he feels it would be easier to have a whole new nose than stop picking the sore on the old one! LOL
Wednesday, June 27, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Play scripting sounds great!!! It is a little bit like autistic childrens' pictures, or no?
Jaiden could be a sweetie while talking about a new nose :))))) At this moment I can't imagine that Szabi can ever picking his nose because his nosehole is so small :D but apparently he will... ;)
Bye, Kati
Kids are a trip.....I actually mailed your DVD on Sat. I sent it regular mail so hopefully you'll get it. Let me know if you do not have it yet in a few weeks and I'll try again I still have it saved on my DVR I stil have to make aniother copy for someone else...I am SLACK :)
Play scripting does sound cool :)
Sounds like a great seminar. I believe Play Scripting is called a Visual Schedule here in the US, or at least it's very similar.
When Michaela was 3, her preschool used them for the class (not a special ed. school or class) they found they worked for most children. It seemed to ease their stress and frustration. I know it worked great for Michaela.
We call them picture schedule's here. We use them at school for all of the spec. needs kids. I imagine they would work well for all children though. For the severely autistic kids, we have a pic. board with pictures for choices at snack time. They point and say what they are pointing at. Like " I, Want, Juice, Please." They are very effective in bringing out language. Snacks are a good motivator. That is such a good idea to use pictures to help develop their imagination in play time.
Post a Comment